On 14th July 2021, the Department for Transport has released its new strategy for Decarbonising Transport to set out the UK’s plan to achieve net zero transport by 2050.
The plan sets out key commitments that link to CRPs projects such as Clean Air Villages 4, Healthy Streets Everyday, Clean Air Thames and CLSTRP, with actions around:
- Creating a world class walking and cycling network by 2040 in England, including investing £2 billion over the next 5 years so that half of all journeys in cities and towns can be walked or cycled by 2030
- Increasing the provision of zero and ultra-low emission public transport infrastructure across the UK on our trains and buses
- Improving rail journey connectivity for walking and cycling to create multi-modal journeys
- Increasing zero emission vehicles across the UK
- Support and encourage modal shift of freight from road to more sustainable alternatives, such as rail, cargo bike and inland waterways