COVID-19: Temporary changes to Square Mile streets14th July 2020 / Posted by Susannah Wilks
The City of London Corporation has begun delivery of its transport recovery plan, designed to ensure the safety of residents, workers and visitors as people return to the Square Mile. The scheme is primarily focused on providing the space needed to maintain social distancing on our streets and enabling safe walking, cycling and the managed use of public transport, similar to all other London boroughs. Temporary on-street measures include introducing:
- more space for walking and cycling, including increased cycle parking
- timed closures to motor vehicles on some streets (7am–7pm Monday to Friday), allowing limited access to premises for people with access needs, deliveries and servicing
- closures of streets to through traffic or other changes in operation, e.g. switching to one-way or giving priority to buses
- an advisory 15 miles per hour speed limit
- signage to promote social distancing and encourage considerate behaviour
Details of the changes to individual streets are displayed in the windows of the Guildhall, on on-street notices and online. These changes are being installed on street in stages. They are adaptable to the changing circumstances and measures can be scaled up or reduced as required and in line with the latest Government guidance. The City of London Corporation are continuously reviewing and monitoring the changes to ensure the safety of all residents, workers and visitors as people return to the Square Mile in the coming months.