As part of Islington Council’s people-friendly streets programme and the need for an urgent transport response to COVID-19, Canonbury East is the second people friendly streets neighbourhood in the borough. It has been created to allow more space for people to walk and cross the road safely, use buggies and wheelchairs, and cycle as part of everyday life. The scheme went live on 3 August 2020.
Canonbury East, like many neighbourhoods within the borough, has suffered from increased traffic volumes in recent years from the use of the area as a short-cut.
- We have installed traffic filters on ten streets in Canonbury East.
- Cycles, emergency vehicles and buses will be able to get through traffic filters.
- Physical traffic filters with bollards will be placed on Henshall Street, Cleveland Road, Halliford Street and Shepperton Road.
- Traffic filters to be enforced by cameras will be placed on Ockendon Road, Englefield Road, Northchurch Road and Elmore Street.
- Traffic filters enforced by cameras whilst allowing access for bus services will be placed in Dove Road and Downham Road.
- Every street in the area will remain open to motor vehicles. If you have a car you will still be able to drive to your home, as will visitors, but you may need to take a different route.