The council has installed more Aeroqual sensors to monitor air quality in Leytonstone BLEN.
The Leytonstone BLEN is focused on the main commercial/ retail town centre area located along Church Lane, High Road Leytonstone and Kirkdale Road. The project aims to reduce exposure to road transport generated pollutants and improve overall air quality through a range of active and sustainable travel infrastructure improvements, traffic management measures that prioritise low and zero emissions transport options, behaviour change initiatives, and increased green infrastructure.
More specifically the objectives are to:
• Reduce emissions from motorised vehicles, leading to improved air quality and public health
• Increase levels of walking and cycling within and around the area
• Increase bus patronage and reliability
• Reduce road traffic collisions and casualties
• Improve the quality and resilience of the public realm
• Increased uptake and vehicle km for low and zero emissions vehicles
• Facilitate more efficient utilisation of kerbside space, with priority on low and zero emission vehicles
• Reduce motorised traffic within the project area while mitigating any impacts on the surrounding roads/ areas.